Career Guidance and Counselling at St Louis Community School
St. Louis Community School offers students a broad range of subjects in
Junior and Senior Cycle. It also offers a full array of services, activities
and interventions which aid students in making important life decisions
as well as supporting them in the many challenges and difficulties
students face in this ever-changing world. Upholding the ethos of our
school, we aim to help the students reach their fullest potential in each
facet of their development focusing on three key areas:
Personal & Social
Guidance and Counselling aim to support students as they progress
through their second-level education.
Counselling is available to all students in St Louis Community School.
The aim is to help students to achieve their potential and to support
their happiness in school. This is achieved by giving students the
opportunity and space to discuss problems which are creating
difficulty in their lives.
Guidance aims to equip students with the knowledge they need in
order to make an informed decisions about their future after their
Leaving Certificate. This is achieved through a mixture of weekly
classes and individual appointments. Classes allow students to
become familiar with all aspects of college applications. Individual
appointments focus on the needs and goals of each student.
We offer a comprehensive service to all students:
- Guidance Classes are timetabled for TY, 5th and 6th-year students, facilitating the exploration of key aspects of educational and vocational development. This equips students with the necessary skills to independently research their interests and make informed decisions about their future. It also ensures students are aware of all available options so that they understand the many pathways to their chosen career area.
- Counselling & Support Services are provided by referral or appointment. Students and Parents can Liaise with the Principal, Deputy Principals, Class Teachers, and Year Head in referring students for personal support to the Guidance Counsellors or to the Chaplain who will support students in coping with the pressures of life. Coordination with outside agencies in supporting
students is integral to the process.
Further Supports: Visits by College personnel to advise students
on courses and options at 3rd level.
– Providing students with all the necessary information on supports
available in College: DARE/HEAR/Disability services/SUSI grant
– Assisting students in the application process for
Colleges/Apprenticeships: CAO, UCAS, studying abroad,
– Encourage students to visit college open days. Students have the
option to attend a career fair in 6th year.
– Help all students with deciding on subject choice for Junior and
Senior Cycle and providing advice on taking various levels in each
– Preparation for the world of work: Curriculum Vitae, Letter of
application and Interview techniques.
-Advises students on study plans and study skills.
– Parents/Guardians are always welcome to meet with the Guidance
– Delivery of programme choices for third years – Transition
– Information sessions on subject choices for students going directly
to Senior Cycle.
– One to One feedback on Cambridge Profile Aptitude & Eirquest test
so that students can make informed decisions on subject choice
and career paths.